Below is a list of free & paid tools which can be used to create game arts and sounds. If you know any other useful resources, please report in comment section so I can add it to this list.
Free Game Arts
- Spriters-resource. This is the biggest directory where its users share sprites from video game console’s sprites. You can utilize the sprites to make games.
- UnluckyStudio. Free game arts from Unlucky Studio.
- Gameart2d.com. They have a lot of free stunning game arts.
- 2dgameartguru. A personal blog that provides free 2D game arts once in a while. It also posts tutorials about making game arts using Inkscape.
- HasGraphics.com. Another source to download free graphics.
- Sharecg.com. A site for artists to upload and share their 2D & 3D work.
- Blogoscoped. 700 fantasy-themed avatar images free to download.
- Lostgarden.com. Daniel Cook shares free arts on this blog.
- Sithjester’s RMXP resources. Free assets for RPG Maker. You can use them in any RPG games.
- Kenney.nl. A website based in Netherlands loves to create free to use game assets and high quality learning material for game developers.
- Textures. You can find a large collection of textures on this site – building, floor, decal, nature, animal, etc… They offer both free and paid textures.
- Games-Icons. Over 2000 free icons for your games. Games-Icons adds new symbols weekly and organizes them in suitable categories.
- Sketchfab. Artists showcase their 3D models on this site. Developers can get inspiration from these showcases.
- Vecteezy. Free vector art directory. I often search for “game”, “character” or “rpg” to usable art in games.
- Iconmonstr. 3000+ free simple icons in 250 collections.
- OpenGameArt. The site offers free game arts submitted by their users. They are allowed to be used in free game projects.
- PlainTextures. Plaintextures provides free high resolution textures for artists and designers.
- Reiner’s Tilesets. You can find graphics, textures, sound FX and meshes to use in your game for FREE. The site even offers source code of some freeware games.
- Yobi3D. It is a free 3D model search engine.
- TF3DM. Free 3D model for games. You can even find Pokemon models on this site.
- TurboSquid. Another free 3D models directory.
- QuaterniusDev. Some free low-polygon 3D models.
- GraphicRiver. EnvatoMarket’s dedicated marketplace for game assets.
- GameDev Market. GameDev Market is a marketplace for high quality, affordable game assets handcrafted by talented creators around the world.
- Game Art Guppy. A game art marketplace for developers who can’t afford custom art yet.
- CraftPix. A small team sells high quality 2D game assets at small price for most popular genre, be it RPG skillsets or platformer background. They also offer free assets.
- GameArtPartners. This site has quite a large collection of different type of art styles, from 2D, 3D to isometric.
- Bitgem3d. It sells lowpoly 3D models designed by a small team.
Vector / Image Editors
- Gimp. GIMP is a free cross-platform image editor available for GNU/Linux, OS X, Windows and more operating systems. It is a good alternative to Adobe Photoshop.
- Inkscape. Inkscape is a free, open source and professional vector graphics editor for Windows, Mac OS X and Linux. It is a vector graphics editor similar to Adobe Illustrator and Corel Draw.
- CodeAndWeb’s TexturePacker. Texture Packer is the best sprite sheet generation tool on the market.
- ShoeBox. It is a free Adobe Air based app for Windows and Mac OSX with game and ui related tools which ultilize drag-and-drop for smooth worflow.
- Aseprite. Aseprite lets you create 2D animations for games. From sprites, to pixel-art, retro style graphics, and whatever you like about the 8-bit (and 16-bit) era.
- GraphicsGale. This is an animation graphic editor developed by a Japanese developer.
- Pickle. Pickle is an Adobe Air-based pixel art editor.
- PiskelApp. With Piskel you can create your own pixel arts in a few clicks. it is an online tool.
- Grafx2. A free pixel art oriented graphic application inspired by the Amiga programs Deluxe Paint and Brilliance.
- Emblem. An online tool to draw simple vector graphics using blender controls. Drawing can be exported as SVG and PNG.
Texture / Tile / Terrain Editors
- Overlap2D. Overlap2D is an open source game UI, level and content editor.
- PixPlant. PixPlant is a complete solution for repeating textures and 3D maps.
- STG. a tool for creating professional seamlessly-tileable textures from photographs quickly and easily.
- Array Painter. Written in Java, Array Painter is easy to make 2D tiles and textures.
- Space-2D. Online tool to generate background for space game or app. You can add or remove objects such as point stars, star, and suns.
- OGMO Editor. Ogmo Editor is a free and open source level editor for indie game developers who use Windows.
- Artifex Terra. Artifex Terra 3D is a free terrain editor application for height map based realtime modeling and texturing of virtual landscapes.
- Nem’s Terrain Generator. Nem’s Mega 3D Terrain Generator is a relatively new terrain generator that takes a step in a completely different direction.
- World Machine. Powerful and flexible, World Machine combines procedural terrain creation, simulations of nature, and interactive editing to produce realistic looking terrain quickly and easily.
- goxel. You can use goxel to create voxel graphics (3D images formed of cubes) on Linux, Windows and OSX.
- Q-Block. A free, online Voxel editor.
- Charas-Project. A characters generator used for RPG games.
- Loose Leaf. This is a great online tool to create charcter model. You can customize skin color, clothes, equipment.
Physics / Particle Editors
- libgdx’s 2D Particle Editor. The libgdx 2D Particle Editor is a powerful tool for making particle effects.
- CodeAndWeb’s PhysicsEditor. A tool to generate collision with 1 click.
Skeletal Animation Tools
- Spine. Spine provides numerous tools to shape and refine your 2D animations, then integrate it into your game seamlessly.
- Spriter. Spriter enables the “modular” method of creating silky-smooth animations where key-frames are constructed from small, re-useable images. With Spriter, a game creator who is not an artist can start creating a game with pro quality animations.
- DragonBones. DragonBones is a skeletal animation editor developed by Egret. It supports all major game engines and programing languages such as Unity, Cocos2D.
- Fusion Character Animator. A simple too to create animation for 2D object.
3D Modeling Tools
- Blender. Blender is a complete 3D creation suite. It is free and open source.
- MakeHuman. A free and open source software to create realistic 3d humans. MakeHuman is completely written in python.
- Clara.io. A free online 3D rendering.
- Sculptris. Sculptris provides an excellent gateway into the exciting world of 3D.
- Maya. Maya is the most popular commercial 3D model creation tool.
- 3ds Max. With tools to help shape and define, 3ds Max is modeling software for artists looking to create environments and characters.
- Freesound. Freesound is a collaborative database of Creative Commons Licensed sounds. You can browse, download and share sounds.
- PlayOnLoop. A set of free music loops that can be used for games
- Musopen. Musopen is a 501(c)(3) non-profit focused on increasing access to music by creating free resources and educational materials.
- Incompetech. This site helps you find royalty free music released under Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.
- Free Game Sounds. Royalty free music and sounds for your games.
- PacDV. PacDV has been producing royalty free sounds for filmmakers, sound designers, music producers, film students, and multimedia developers since 2001. They can be used in games, too.
- SoundImage. A blog provides sound for free.
- Bfxr. Bfxr is an elaboration of the glorious Sfxr, the program of choice for many people looking to make sound effects for computer games. I recommend this tool for game developer.
- Audacity. A free multi-track audio editor and recorder which supports Windows, Mac OS X, GNU/Linux and other operating systems.
- Audiosauna. Audiosauna is web browser-based music production studio.
- Audiotool. An online music producer.